Little Inn Sunday Brunch
For 4 to 5 servings you will need:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 ½ tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned green chilies
- 8 slices firm sandwich bread, white, cracked wheat or sourdough
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt, optional
- ¼ teaspoon garlic pepper
- ½ dried oregano leaves
Sauté the onion in butter until just softened. Stir in the ham and chilies.
Slice the crusts off the bread, if desired. Cut pieces in half.
Place half of slices in a buttered (or Pam) baking dish. Sprinkle with ham mixture and 1 ¼ cups cheese.
Top with remaining bread. Beat together the milk, eggs, salt, if desired, pepper and oregano. Pour evenly over the bread. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Cover. Let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour. Or refrigerate overnight.
Uncover. Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes until puffed and brown.
Serve hot from the oven. (It's also very tasty served at room temperature.)