Savory Roasted Pepper Scones
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup each roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced red and yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 1 to 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- Egg wash - 1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 500 degrees
In food processor, blend flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper briefly (about three pulses)
Add butter and process to a “mealy”
Add peppers herbs and cheese, processing briefly to combine.
Transfer mixture into a large bowl, add 1 cup buttermilk and stir to moisten. If needed add more buttermilk
up to ¼ cup.
Place dough on a floured surface and form into a disk, ¾ to 1 inch in thickness. Cut into wedges, brush top of each wedge with egg wash. Place on half sheet pan and
bake for approximately 15 - 20 minutes at 500 degrees.
Place on rack and let cool to room temperature.